Re: ORA Objects for OLE

From: Mr Angus Beare <ucfaabe_at_ucl.ac.uk>
Date: 1996/10/22

>I cannot speak officially for Oracle, but to my knowledge, Oracle has
>absolutely *no* plans to abandon Oracle Objects for OLE. In fact, it is likely
>to have even greater importance & functionaility with Oracle8 next year.

I'm glad to hear this. OO4OLE is a solid product. I opted for this + VB to talk to my Oracle database. There are pros and cons for this and ODBC. But in general I think it is a better option than ODBC.

Looping a OO4OLE dynaset object is slow even following rules about avoiding excessive object references. But I'm told that Oracle focused on the OLE aspects which compromised other areas.

OO4OLE is great for firing off requests to perform updates or deletions. Its far more satisfying than working with the VB3 data control in general. I'm looking forward to trying the 32 bit version but as I work in a university I'll have to beg for the money!

I think the important apsect of OO4OLE is the OLE bit. Remember you can talk to Oracle within Excel or any other OLE app. I don't know where ODBC stands in all this but I'd go for OLE db objects, expecially with VB4 as remote automation is possible and objects can be shared amongst apps.

I'm hoping to share Oracle data amongst spreadsheet and Web applications at some stage. However, I got Dev 2000 and Designer 200 bundled with Objects and I haven't even got them out of the boxes yet!!

all the best

Angus

--
Angus Beare