Re: Newbie sqlplus question

From: Loyal Barber <lbarber_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/10/21

Joe Trubisz wrote:

> I'm a newbie to Oracle, so I don't know what to do here.
> I create 2-databases, ABC and XYZ. They are both local to the
> users. However, a single user has access to both of them
> (same user name). When they start a sqlplus session, how do
> they pick the database they want to use?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Joe
It is a bit difficult to tell exactly what you mean. If you mean they have their
own local instances, you would do it via SQL*Net and connect string. If it
is via seperate owners, you can create synonyms (not public synonyms) on the fly.

user 1 sees user 1 version of ABC and XYZ user 2 sees user 2 version of ABC and XYZ (both in their own schema) user 3 has a choice of seeing user 1's version or user 2's version:

create synonym ABC for user_1.ABC;
create synonym XYZ for user_1.XYZ;

I think you get the gist of this.

Loyal Received on Mon Oct 21 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message