Re: ANALYZE

From: janet <janet_at_telesph.com>
Date: 1996/10/18

TANDEM-TEAM wrote:

> I am using the ANALYZE table COMPUTE STATISTICS command to determine the
> amount of disk space a very large table is using. The command apparently
> needs lots and lots of temporary space. Two questions:
> 1. Does anyone know why?
> 2. Is there a way around this problem except to add data files to the
> Temporary tablespace?

I ran into the same problem. I don't know exactly why. - Have you tried the SAMPLE option? When I was having the same problem, I tried sampling 10% - my dba class instructor said that was pretty reliable.
- but it depends on the version of oracle that you're using. do not even attempt this under 7.0, wait till 7.2 at least. - what i did for my extremely large tables was take a sample table myself. create table sub_large as select * from large where rownum <= (type 1/100th of the number of rows) then multiply the results by 100.
kludgy but it works.
janet Received on Fri Oct 18 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message