Re: Database Recovery

From: Martin Douglas <dafis_at_ppp.test.jccbi.gov>
Date: 1996/10/12

In article <325FD7F6.51FA_at_seisy.abb.se>, <cnordfel_at_seisy.abb.se> writes:
> From: Claes Nordfeldt <cnordfel_at_seisy.abb.se>
> Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
> Subject: Database Recovery
> Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 19:40:06 +0200
>
> Hi !
>
> During a system maintainence we lost a datafile for the TEMP-tablespace.
> The database was shutdown down. We have no backup to restore and no
> archivelogs. The data in the datafile are not important as it only
> was used for temp-data. Is it possible to open the database without
> the datafile and drop tablespace TEMP and then recreate it ?
>
> Claes Nordfeldt
> Email: cnordfel_at_seisy.abb.se

Yes...I had that problem today except I was trying to move temp to another drive. I ended up having to drop the tablespace "TEMP" and recreating It. Users should be off the system (Listener Down) and make sure SYS, SYSTEM, and any other DBA account you are using has had thier temporary tablespace switched from TEMP to SYSTEM or any other table space. If you cannot connect because your temp tablespace is missing then use INTERNAL to create a DBA account with DEFAULT TABLSPACE = SYSTEM and TEMPORORAY TABLESPACE = SYSTEM. Then take TEMP offline and drop the tablespace or I think you can just drop it. After you rebuild you TEMP tablespace you should beable to continue on.

Martin Douglas Received on Sat Oct 12 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message