Re: Raw Devices

From: Thomas M. Buccelli <tmb_at_idm.com>
Date: 1996/10/11

Eduardo René Rodríguez Ávila (eravila_at_spin.com.mx) wrote:

} Alexander Lyakhovetsky wrote:

} >
} > We are thinking about moving our database to raw devices. What are pros
} > and cons of this especially in regard to recovery issues? Comments,
} > white papers, ideas? Our environment: AIX 4.1.4 Oracle Financials 22GIG.
}    We considered this option at our installation sometimes. The main
} goal was a better performance. Unfortunately, we found  that maintain
} our database in a environment with changes could be a problem if your
} DBA has not a solid backuground in UNIX and Oracle.

It does require a bit more planning to use the raw devices, but we use LVM's under HP/UX 9.04 without any problem. If you are going to be dropping & resizing datafiles a lot, you might want to stick with a file system.

Tom B.

--

Thomas M. Buccelli (tmb_at_idm.com)

#include <std_disclaimer.h>