Re: SQL*Net TCP adapter, listening on multiple ports

From: Dave Mausner <dmausner_at_brauntech.com>
Date: 1996/10/10

In article <01bbb621$71f554a0$100410ac_at_david>,

   "David Devejian" <djd_at_bank2000.com> wrote:
>In a related note, he seemed to indicate that if I had two aliases for the
>same IP address, ie jumbo and jumbo2, I could use two ports, so long as the
>Host='s were different. This doesnt make much sense to me, but I thought
>Id ask around if anyone has any thoughts on this.

<warning: increasing flame intensity>

in a tnsname description, you define a service name located on a host connected over a protocol, in this case TCP, so there is also a port number.

an alias can have multiple definitions; one alias can stand in for two or more services. they are not aliases for IP addresses, they are aliases for oracle services.

the service is accessed thru one or more listeners. you can listen on more than one port or you can have more than one listener, each on a different port, if that knocks your socks off for some reason.

so if you wish, you can define different services that point to the same host IP address with different port numbers which link up to the same database listener(s).

it's all academic in most situations. with MTS one port is all you need for very high transaction rates. there's no administrative benefit to 2+ ports. after all, a port is just a number, it's not a physical anything.

consider FTP, for example; there's just one well-known FTP port and all 9999 users connect thru it. the same thing happens with listener ports: they are just well-known connection numbers, so you may as well have just one in the majority of systems.

Dave Mausner, Managing Consultant, Braun Technology Group, Chicago. Received on Thu Oct 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message