Re: Q: SQL output order by keys possible?

From: Joe Nardone <nardone_at_patriot.net>
Date: 1996/10/09

Göran Alterland (f91-gal_at_nada.kth.se) wrote:

: select EMP,SALAR from ALL_EMPS
: where SALAR <= 10000
: order by DEPT where DEPT like 'PR' first
:
: This doesn't work of course. Is there any way to do this? The
: best I can come up with on my own are two queries like this:
:
Well, if there are a limited (and known) number of DEPT's that start with PR, you can use a decode:

...ORDER BY DECODE(DEPT,'PRAAA',1,'PRBBB',1,...,2) Which will "assign" a 1 to each value declared (replacing PRAAA, PRBBB, etc with the real dept. names) and a 2 to anything else.

Actually, you could make it more generic.

...ORDER BY DECODE(SUBSTR(DEPT,1,2),'PR',1,2) Joe

--

Joe Nardone <nardone_at_patriot.net>