Re: [Q] DATE - 1/2 hour ????

From: Loyal Barber <lbarber_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/10/08

Keyoor wrote:

> Date : 08/10/1996
> Ref : news4.txt
>
> Hi folks !
>
> I want to subtract 1/2 an hour from any given date and find the records
> between these 2 dates.
>
> Can anybody give me the answer !
>
> Please send the answers to my e-mail also.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Keyoor.
>
> --
> How HIGH You go depends on How DEEP Your Roots are.
> Keyoor Anant Brahme
declare

   l_seconds_per_minute NUMBER := 60;
   l_first_date DATE := SYSDATE;
   l_second_date DATE := l_first_date - to_date (to_char
(l_seconds_per_minute * 30),
                                                 'SSSSS');
begin

   select stuff
   from real_stuff
   where real_stuff.date >= l_second_date    and real_stuff.date <= l_first_date;

end;

Though there are many other ways to do it, this is probably the easiest to understand.
The to_date function is using 'SSSSS' to convert to number of seconds since midnight.
You really don't care about that. All you really want to do is get 30 minutes in
a date variable so you can use date arithmetic, which this will accomplish. I saw
another post on here using 1/48 of a day. That will work, but could get very ugly
when we start talking odd increments in seconds and minutes. You could certainly
calculate what part of a day anything is, but mine will convert to any seconds/
minutes you choose.

Loyal Received on Tue Oct 08 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message