Re: what is the advantage of oracle over access

From: Michael Carmack <mcarmack_at_freenet.columbus.oh.us>
Date: 1996/10/08

Jie Li (jielee_at_iastate.edu) wrote:
: My group and I are looking for information on the advantages of oracle over
: access. General observations, personal experience, or even reference on
: where to find more info would be greatly appreciated.

Access is an okay product for departmental databases (i.e. relatively few users, not too many tables, etc.) It's great as a personal database where you're the only user.

Oracle, on the other hand, is a powerhouse database designed for enterprise-size databases (i.e. hundreds of users, virtually unlimited size database, etc.) It requires a lot more thought and planning to efficiently manage an Oracle database; you'll very likely need a dedicated person to serve as a DBA.

Oh yeah, Oracle is a LOT more expensive. ;-)

"In sports, it's not who wins or   |   Mike Carmack
 loses; it's how drunk you get."   |   Vulcan Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
                 - Homer Simpson   |   mcarmack_at_freenet.columbus.oh.us