Re: Help!!

From: Bill Beaton <beatonb_at_cadvision.com>
Date: 1996/10/08

In highly edited article <325A65A5.41C6_at_colorbank.com>,

        mwang <mwang_at_colorbank.com
>SQLDBA> startup;
>ORACLE instance started.
>Database mounted.
>ORA-01122: database file 7 failed verification check
>ORA-01110: data file 7: '/usr/people/mwang/data/abc.dbf'
>ORA-01204: file number is 8 rather than 7 - wrong file
>Attempting to dismount database........Database dismounted.
>Attempting to shutdown instance........ORACLE instance shut down.
>SQLDBA>
>

>Anyone can tell me what I can do to restart Oracle?
>I have no backup for that deleted file and run Oracle in NONARCHIVLOG
>mode.

Bad luck!!!
Do
sqldba lmode=y

SQLDBA> connect internal
SQLDBA> startup mount;
SQLDBA> alter database datafile '/usr/people/mwang/data/abc.def' offline drop;
SQLDBA> alter database open;
SQLDBA> show sga

If you get any other ORA-01122s, repeat the sqldba with connect internal;
alter database datafile '??????????????' offline drop; alter database open;
UNTIL the database actually starts up.
You have no way of recovering the data, at least using anything supplied by ORACLE. Not taking backups, or running in NOARCHIVELOG mode are standard ways of begging for trouble. Even if you have the luxury of cold backups, I'd still recommend archivelog mode, if the database has even a small amount of update activity.

Bill

E-Mail: Beatonb_at_cadvision.com or Bill_Beaton_at_calgary.qc-data.com