Re: DBMS_OUTPUT buffering

From: Mark Styles <lambic_at_msn.com>
Date: 1996/10/07

"Michael J. Mangieri" <mangieri_at_vitro.com> wrote:
>I get my output, but only when the program has completed executing,
>defeating the purpose of a status! It seems like Oracle is buffering
>my output and not processing the PUT_LINES until the code has
>completed execution.
>
>Is this the normal way DBMS_OUTPUT behaves? Oracle documentation seems
>to imply not, that I should be able to output messages as the program
>proceeds.

Yes it is the normal way dbms_output works, I'm afraid. One option is to use dbms_pipe instead, writing your status to a pipe, and reading it using an external program. There is an example of doing this in the appendices of the Application Developers Guide. Received on Mon Oct 07 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message