Simple SQLNET 2 question

From: Terry G. Phelps <tgp_at_iglou2.iglou.com>
Date: 1996/10/04

We have just upgraded from SQLNET 1 to SQLNET 2, and seem to have lost a major piece of functionality. I sure hope there is a simple solution, but I can't find it. Maybe someone can say, oh that's easy, you just...

Here is the issue. We have an application (Peoplesoft Financials, if it matters) that logs all users on to Oracle as the user-id that is the owner of all the tables. [They log on as themselves. The application retrieves the encrypted owner and password from an Oracle table, and then logs out the user, and re-logs in as the owner. There's nothing I can do about this.]

Now...on our UNIX server, I'm often looking at all the Oracle connections with the "ps" command. It is essential to be able to tell which connection belongs to which user. With SQLNET 1, the solution was: 1. Create a UNIX user account for each user. 2. In the user's oracle.ini file on the desktop, add a line that says something like:

        sqlnet_user_name=<user name>
(I don't have the exact syntax handy.) The combination of (1) and (2) causes the user-id from the oracle.ini file to be displayed as the UNIX user when you do a "ps -ef" command.

This is now completely gone after upgrading to SQLNET 2. All Oracle connections show up as user-id "oracle". I seemingly have NO way to match up these Oracle processes to the user who "owns" them.

Can anyone tell me whether there is any way to recover this sorely needed functionality? If there is, please guide me to documentation, or tell me what to do.

HELP! Terry! Received on Fri Oct 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message