Re: SQL*Net 2.x/Listener/DEC OSF questions

From: Martin Douglas <dafis_at_ppp.test.jccbi.gov>
Date: 1996/10/04

In article <532vev$iae_at_news.ee.net>, <zgeist_at_ee.ee.net> writes:
> From: zgeist_at_ee.ee.net (Unknown)
> Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
> Subject: SQL*Net 2.x/Listener/DEC OSF questions
> Date: 4 Oct 1996 12:20:46 GMT
>

> Greetings all -
>
> I am attempting to start the listener process on Digital's OSF V3.2 when
> I receive the following message:
>
> Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=FSPROD.world))
> smux socket failure: Protocol not supported
>
> All the info about the status of the listener is shown and it tells
> me that the command completed successfully.
>
> I am not the OS guy and don't understand the 'smux socket failure' bit.
>
> Additionally, 'lsnrctl status' commands return a status that the
> listener is up and running, however, a 'ps -ef | grep lsn' does not
> show a listener process.
>
> A test of 'sqlplus username/password_at_instance:t' returns the following:
>
> ERROR: ORA-06401: NETCMN: invalid driver designator
>
> At which point it lets me connect anyway.

> Brett Cunningham
> zgeist_at_ee.net

I have that same error message. It is my understanding that IPC is needed for dedicated sessions but I don't now fo sure. I use TCP/IP as a protocal so I have server processes set up in my MTS perameters for this protocal. its fairly well documented how to set other protocals up. I would like to no how to get rid of the message.

Martin Douglas   Received on Fri Oct 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message