Re: DBMS_OUTPUT buffering

From: Scott Urman <surman_at_dlsun338.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/10/03

In article <3254051B.3D08_at_vitro.com>, "Michael J. Mangieri" <mangieri_at_vitro.com> writes:
|> From: "Michael J. Mangieri" <mangieri_at_vitro.com>
|> Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
|> Subject: DBMS_OUTPUT buffering
|> Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 14:25:31 -0400
|>
|> Hi all,
|>
|> I am trying to use the DBMS_OUTPUT package to display status lines on my
|> screen while my PL/SQL program is running. I am using the PUT_LINE
|> procedure in various places throughout the code. I get my output, but
|> only when the program has completed executing, defeating the purpose of
|> a status! It seems like Oracle is buffering my output and not processing
|> the PUT_LINES until the code has completed execution.
|>
|> Is this the normal way DBMS_OUTPUT behaves?

Yep.

|> Oracle documentation seems
|> to imply not, that I should be able to output messages as the program
|> proceeds.

If you want to see output as the program proceeds, you can use DBMS_PIPE to write to a Pro*C or OCI deamon which prints the debugging output.

|> Any help would be appreciated.
|>
|> Michael J. Mangieri
|> Vitro Corporation
|> mangieri_at_vitro.com

Scott Urman Oracle Corporation surman_at_us.oracle.com

Author of _Oracle PL/SQL Programming_ ISBN 0-07-882176-2 Published by Oracle Press - http://www.osborne.com/oracle/index.htm

"The opinions expressed here are my own, and are not necessarily that of  Oracle Corporation"