Re: Using rowid in a html anchor / select statement

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/10/01

On 30 Sep 1996 21:07:00 GMT, kanefsky_at_datamagic.com (Steve Kanefsky) wrote:

>In article <324fe2e7.5421665_at_dcsun4>,
>Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com> wrote:
>>
>>As for rowid being fluid - ****the rowid of a row will never change**** unless
>>the row is deleted and re-inserted. Oracle basic replication counts on rowid.
>>Oracle Forms counts on rowid. The rowid of a row is a value that will not
>>change. The only way a rowid will change is if you physically delete and then
>>reinsert the row (but then it is not the same row anymore anyway).
>
>While I could live with the rowid changing if you deleted and then re-created
>a row, isn't it true that some other new record could get the same rowid
>as a record you just deleted? It wouldn't be so bad if a rowid was
>never reused. It shouldn't be that hard to maintain referential integrity
>within the Oracle database, but if you use a rowid outside the database
>(like in a web page), there's no guarantee it'll point to the right record
>later on.

Just like a primary key :)

A rowid is just a primary key assigned by the system. Unless you are using a generated key (like a sequence number) that doesn't ever reuse values, yes, a rowid will get reused eventually. Same with any other primary key though.

>--
>Steve Kanefsky

Thomas Kyte
Oracle Government
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com

http://govt.us.oracle.com

  • Check out Oracle Governments web site! ----- Follow the link to "Tech Center" and then downloadable Utilities for some free software...

statements and opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Oct 01 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message