Re: Forms4.5 under Win95, small font versus large font

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.CSUFresno.EDU>
Date: 1996/09/25

In article <32487728.3BD2_at_well.com>, Bob Viener <bobv_at_well.com> wrote:
>We are developing with Forms 4.5.6.5.5 under Windows 95.
>
>We find that text (like labels) in our forms look different when
>developed on different machines. In a screen developed with the Large
>Font setting, and then displayed on a system with the Small Font
>setting, the text changes size relative to the rest of the form. For
>example, a long text may run off the edge of the canvas.
>
>If our program runs on users machines where we have no control over
>their display settings, how to we develop screens which display
>correctly on Win95 systems regardless of the desktop settings?
>
>Has anyone seen this before? Any solutions or work-arounds?

Yes, I have seen it too. I think the only solution is to develop your forms targeting the most commonly used screen resolution settings. Unfortunately, the users who don't use these settings will need to change theirs when they run your forms.

Changing video display settings sometimes requires rebooting Windows, and sometimes it doesn't. Experimentation with the installed base of systems your users have will probably be necessary. Using the software on a PC that matches the installed video driver is always better than using the default Windows method of changing settings.

We have a similar problem where one set of users has 15" monitors running at 800x600 resolution, and we are developing screens that look best on these monitors at 640x480. At the 800x600 _at_15", the forms are tiny, and difficult to read. Those users have other applications all set up to run at this resolution, so if they change the display settings to match the Forms, then the other applications will be a mess. Obviously, we aren't sure of the solution to this problem yet.

Ain't GUI development fun?

Good luck, and please post an article later if you find a solution.

Regards,
Steve Cosner

P.S. Please don't post to comp.database.oracle (no ending 's' on database), because it is a bogus newsgroup, and almost nobody can read it. Thanks. Received on Wed Sep 25 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message