Re: Help! tables in oracle...

From: Videojet <joepipek_at_interaccess.com>
Date: 1996/09/24

Somil Mittal <skm3_at_po.cwru.edu> wrote:

>Hi Guys,

> I am new to Orcale 7 and stuck. Here's my problem:

> I have to create a table which will be used by around 20 users who
>shall run their SQL queries on it. If I use the CREATE TABLE command,
>I can create the table only for one schema, thus the other users can't
>see the table. How can I create a table such that all users can run
>their SQL queries on them?

>Thanks in Advance,

>Somil Mittal

>ps. I would really appreciate help on this. Am desparate.

All you have to do is GRANT all users access to the table, such as

GRANT SELECT ON your_table TO user_name;

Or, to give ALL users access to your table, do

GRANT SELECT ON your_table TO PUBLIC;

The users will reference your table by schema.table_name, or they can create a synonym, or a DBA can create a public synonym to simplify the access to this table.

Usually, the application tables are put into a 'dummy' schema, such as APPS, so that all objects are owned by the same entity. Only DBA would know and use APPS account/password. All users would be granted roles and privileges to access the application tables.

Hope this helps.

Mike Umansky
umansky_at_vsiusa.attmail.com
This opinion is my own and does not reflect opinion of Videojet Systems Intl. Received on Tue Sep 24 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message