Re: TK/TCL scripts? Why?

From: Patrick Guimonet <patrickg_at_sequent.com>
Date: 1996/09/24

You wrote:

> Does anybody know WHY a tk-interpreter WISH4.0 is
> included into Oracle 7.3.2 Unix distribution?
>
> Are there any TK/TCL scripts in 7.3.2 to execute or what?

With Oracle 7.3, a general purpose set of administration tools is provided for free with Oracle. It's called : Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM). It's by now only available under Windows NT and it's a great set of tools allowing you to fully administer your database(s) from GUI tools (with the look and feel of Windows 95).

The general architecture of this product is fully inspired from great administration tools already available like HP Openview.

That is to say you have a (not necessarily) dedicated PC running NT which plays the console role. From this PC, you can administer all other(s) DB reachable by the net (on NT, Unix, VMS, in fact on every system running a 7.3). And for example, you can define from the console, jobs which will be executed remotely. But in order these whole things to work, each administrated system must run what is called an (Oracle) agent (which is the counter part of the SNMP agent, and which, to be fully precise, it can also play this role).

What this agent can do is fully expandable by adding TCL scripts so this is WHY you have a tk-interpreter included into Oracle 7.3. But no TK possibilities, as far as I know !

Hope this helps,

Patrick Guimonet - Presales Engineer phone: (33 1) 41 45 01 84

Sequent Computer Systems - Paris                 fax: (33 1) 47 74 70 19
patrickg_at_sequent.com