Re: Should my extents be bigger?

From: Gary Assa <gsa_at_li.net>
Date: 1996/09/23

>I have a tablespace called TEMP with an initial_extent = 256,000
> a next_extent = 1,048,576
> a min_extents = 2
> a max_extents = 121
>(see below)
>
>The data file for the TEMP table has 524,288,000 bytes
>(see below)
>
>It seems to me that since tablespace TEMP has a max_extents of 121, it
>can use up
>at most 1 * 256,000 (initial_extent) + 120 * 1,048,576 (next_extent)
> = 256,000 + 125,829,120 = 126,085,120

TABLESPACES don't have these settings; TABLES do. If a TABLE has these settings, it all depends on how much data is in it whether these settings are good. It is optimal to have all data in one extent, so if the table is <= 256k, you are good. Anything over that means multiple extents.

            http://www.li.net/~gsa/index.html
This is my signature file, not part of this mail message.