Re: Hide Password in SQL Plus

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_dvol.com>
Date: 1996/09/23

Chris Jones <cjones_at_wishful.au.oracle.com> wrote:

>"Brian M. Biggs" <bbiggs_at_cincom.com> writes:
>> Dave Erwin wrote:
>> > sqlplus /nolog -- start sqlplus but do not logon
>> > connect username/password -- logon
>>
>> I used to do this on VMS, but under UNIX it doesn't look like SQL*Plus
>> supports the /nolog parameter. Anyone else seen this?
>
>It works for me. The /nolog option is a generic part of SQL*Plus in
>command line environments.

Or you can just enter everything on the command line except the password which it'll prompt you for.

Another option is to set the users to IDENTIFIED EXTERNALLY and let the O/S handle passwords. This only works though if you're using sqlplus on a password protected client (i.e. Unix, not DOS or Windows), and the Oracle server also supports external identification (Unix does, Netware doesn't).

--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_dvol.com

This message delivered by electronic sled dogs. WOOF!