RE: Converting MS Access to Oracle

From: David Vazquez <dvazquez_at_msn.com>
Date: 1996/09/22

>Hi.
>I know i have read this somewhere here but i cant seem to find it again.
>Someone knew about an Oracle utility to convert Acces Tables/Queris into
>Oracle Queries/Tables
>
>All help apreciated
>
>HAO
I'd love this information as well. Although the process is fairly simple (it took me about 4 hours to write a chunk of Access BASIC that takes table and relationship definitions in Access and creates a script that can be run in SQL*Plus to create the Oracle versions of the tables), I'd like to know of any tried and tested utilities that do this already. Of particular interest is a utility that also handles the creation of triggers and sequences for Counter fields and that also takes an MS Access Validation rule and turns it into an appropriate Oracle check constraint.

I've attempted to use PowerSoft's Star Designer to do the conversion, but it adds more work than is necessary. For instance, if I reverse engineer the Access table into it, relatinships are not reverse engineered. Also, when I switch the database type from Access to Oracle, Star-Designer's choice of Oracle data types leaves alot to be desired.

  Thanks,
  -David Vazquez "dvazquez_at_msn.com" Received on Sun Sep 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message