Re: primary key indexes - where ???

From: James B. Reynolds <jbreynol_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/09/21

In <1996Sep21.093505.31535_at_ludens> seci_at_ludens.elte.hu writes:

>hello,
>
>if i have a table with a primary key it is obvious that oracle will
>create an index (of course a unique one) to maintain this constraint
>(but if i look at user_indexes i cannot see this index).

Peter,

I have found it is best to not let Oracle default the name as it is somewhat more difficult to identify the constraint. Look at your SQL reference manual for creating tables and primary key constraints. You might want to adopt a consistant naming convention for constaints such as tablename_columnname_pk for a primary key or tablename_columnname_nn for a not null constraint.

>is it possible to define the name and the TABLESPACE and STORAGE of
 this
>kind of indexes or not?

Yes. In fact it is recommended that you keep data and indexes in separate tablespaces and, if possible, on separate physical devices. If each drive is on a different controller so much the better. Again, check your SQL reference manual.

Regards,

Jim