Re: Hide Password in SQL Plus

From: Bill Yuey <wyuey_at_juno.com>
Date: 1996/09/20

Dave Erwin wrote:

> You can use externally identified account (ops$) or do the following
>
> sqlplus /nolog -- start sqlplus but do not logon
> connect username/password -- logon
>
> In article <3238C8B9.7537_at_wwa.com>, Alexander Lyakhovetsky <alexl_at_wwa.com>
> wrote:
>
> > We are using sqlplus in shell scripts. In order to connect to a
> > database, we have to pass connect string but password becomes visibale
> > if you run ps command. Is there any way to hide password from ps
> > command?
> >
> > Here is a couple of lines from our script.
> >
> > CONNECT=dbid/password
> > sqlplus $CONNECT
> >
> > Thanks, Alex
> >
> > alexl_at_wwa.com
>
> --
> Dave Erwin
> Lockheed Martin Missiles & Space
> Email: derwin_at_lmsc.lockheed.com
>
> The opinions expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the Lockheed Martin Corporation.

Actually, Oracle Corp. provides a very neat solution to the password problem. They have a program, called 'hide' which they provide the source for. You compile it on your system and you when you want to invoke sqlplus, for instance, you run 'hide sqlplus userid/password'. The difference is, that when you run a ps, all you see is sqlplus, without the userid and password displayed. You can rename sqlplus to something else and create a shell script called sqlplus that calls hide. That way transparent to the user. Everyone just runs sqlplus like thye always have. I've done this on HP-UX, and it works fine. Received on Fri Sep 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message