Re: transaction question

From: Bob Leonard <farsider_at_postoffice.ptd.net>
Date: 1996/09/19

I believe that oracle is not rolling back until you tell it to do so. Oracle notifies you that a command has failed and gives you the opportunity to correct that statement and re-execute without re-executing the beginning of the transaction. If you execute the rollback command the entire transaction will rollback.

Bob

In article <323e9989.1836527_at_n5.gbso.net>, chuckh_at_dvol.com says...
->
->Gert Rijs <gem_at_wirehub.net> wrote:
->
->>Chuck Hamilton wrote:
->>>
->>> If a statement fails due to the "rollback segment too small" error,
->>> won't that force the entire transaction to be rolled back?
->>>
->>> Assume I do the following....
->>>
->>> DELETE...
->>> INSERT...
->>> COMMIT;
->>>
->>> If the INSERT fails, won't that rollback the DELETE too? And then
->>> COMMIT an empty transaction?
->-
->>if you are running this from sql*plus, be sure to have autocommit OFF
->
->Autocommit was off.
->
->The reason I ask is because I had just such a scenario and the
->behaviour exhibited by Oracle was not at all what you'd expect from a
->transaction oriented database. I thought perhaps I was doing something
->wrong. It rolled back the INSERT but not the DELETE.