Re: Procedure Storage/Analyze Question

From: Eugene Freydenzon <efreydenzon_at_corpinfo.com>
Date: 1996/09/13

J L Joslin wrote:

> On 12 Sep 1996 21:17:11 GMT, Wayne Linton
> <Linton_Wayne/SCAN6_at_shell.ca> wrote:
>
> >Barbara Hiles wrote:
> >>
> >> Where do these get stored? Is there a table I can list to see what is out
> >> there?
>
> Statistics are stored in the SYSTEM tablespace in the tables
> underlying DBA_TABLES, DBA_INDEXES, etc.
>
> >> Specifically, I am trying to execute dbms_utility.analyze_schema. I get
> >> unable to open file.
> >> Does this mean it's not loaded? Or does it mean something else?
> >> I'm in sqlplus trying to do a start on this - is that right?
> >> Do I sound confused? (I am)
> >
> >If you are doing this sor of thing for the first time, use the SQL*Plus
> >command directly - ANALYZE. The dbms_* procuedures work within a PL/SQL
> >block and permit you to 'program' further things into your work.
> >
> >Use the ANALYZE command, get to know how it works and what it does for
> >you and where it puts what information. Then you can move on to pl/sql
> >programs if you *need* to.
> >

> >--
> >R. Wayne Linton, I.S.P.
> >Database & Systems Management
> >Shell Canada Ltd.
>
> You can run analyze_schema from SQL*Plus as follows:
>
> execute dbms_utility.analyze_schema('schema_name','action');
>
> This creates an anonymous PL/SQL block to run the command.
>
> Jim Joslin
1. If quiestion is, how to look on existing code for procedure(package) test -
select text from all_source where owner='OWNER NAME' and name='PROCEDURE NAME'
order by line;
or
select text from user_source where name='PROCEDURE NAME' order by line; if you are looking for your own code.
2. If you are looking for existance in the schema, you can quiery all_(user_)objects, for object_type=PROCEDURE(PACKAGE etc.).

Comments to J.L.Joslin:
DBA_TABLES, DBA_INDEXES are not tables, their are views for sys and synonims to views otherwise.

If I did not understand your quiestion correctly, forgive me please

Eugene

*        Everything above is only my opinion           *
* If you see a lion in a cage and sign says "elephant" *
*           DO not belive your eyes !                  *
*       (Kozma Prutkov. (informal translation))        *