Re: Record Locking using web forms ?

From: Chris Kimpton <Chris.Kimpton_at_ubs.com>
Date: 1996/09/12

yocca_at_ppg.com wrote:

> Wouldn't this be the same as handling concurrency in a regular
> system? tsequal in the where clause against a timestamp field.
> Or is there something more to it?

...but in a regular system, either in pl/sql - you can use transactions to ensure a consistent view of the data. And in forms, it automatically handles the locking/concurrency problems, but on the web...

You send the user a screen, he may then send you updates back. In between, you cannot lock the data, since you don't know when/if he'll come back. There are, currently, no oracle facilities to help you automatically.

So, we're back to doing the old fashioned way - by hand.

...unless someone has an alternative...

TTFN,
Chris Received on Thu Sep 12 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message