Re: oracle 7.2/OCI, unaligned access

From: Jay Walters <jwalters_at_igate.iohk.com>
Date: 1996/09/11

Those messages appear because somebody, either you or ORACLE, is performing operations on data which should be quadword aligned, 8-byte boundaries, but isn't. A good example of this would be:

char buf[32];
long * p = (long *) &buf[3];
*p = 4; // causes a Unaligned access error

This type of code causes an unaligned access trap which is corrected in software. The warning message you see is printed out by the trap handler code. Your program will work correctly but more slowly than it would if the alignment was proper in the first place.

You can alter the behaviour regarding the handling of these traps with the uac command.

Cheers
Jay Walters

 Sunil Gaur (sgaur_at_ca.mdis.com) wrote:
: Hi,

: I'm using oracle 7.2 on alpha osf machine.
: My program makes "oci" calls to oracle.

: Each time I make a "oci" call I get hudreads of message appear on
: screen.
: The example messages are :

: "Unaligned access pid=2425 <pro> va=140190b1c pc=120237df0
: ra=120237e24 type=ldq"

: "Unaligned access pid=2702 <pro> va=14018cb1c pc=120237e38
: ra=120237e24 type=stq"

: After these messages stop appearing, my program continues correctly
: and I do not see any other problems. In fact, my program continues
: correctly until I make another "oci" and I get these messages again.

: Does anyone know why these message appear ?
: Can anyone help with this ?

: Any help would be appreciated.

: thanks

: Sunil
: e-mail : sgaur_at_ca.mdis.com
: Tele: 714 724 5736. (Irvine, California, USA)