Re: connect userid/password script

From: <Paul.deAnguera_at_ci.seattle.wa.us>
Date: 1996/09/11

> Marek Wiechula and Sheila Plant <sparemgw_at_batelco.com.bh> writes:
> jpjones_at_ wrote:
> >

> > Question:
> > We have a script that kicks off an export that is fed a userid/password
> > combination. Executing a ps -ef on our Unix system shows the actual
> > userid/password combination the export process is using.
> >
> > How can we prevent the password from showing up along with the system
> > process information?
> >

> I have the same problem. With the export jobs I embed the user/password
> in the parameter file as other commentators have suggested. But I also
> run SQL*Plus jobs.

To avoid replicating my password in many parameter files, making it harder to change when the time comes, I developed Kornshell scripts to get the password from one file and concatenate it with the parameter file at runtime. Here's an example using EXP (I do a similar dance for IMP, SQLPLUS and SQLDBA):

#       exp.system.ksh  03-05-96 pda
#       Login to Oracle as system and run an exp parameter file.
#
#       Usage:
#       exp.system.ksh parfile_name
#               parfile_name = name of the exp parameter file you want to run
#
#       Revision log:
#       03-05-96 pda: Created.
#
# set             -v
cat             /u/adm/.oracle.passwd   > $HOME/exp.system.$$
cat             $1                              >> $HOME/exp.system.$$
exp             parfile=$HOME/exp.system.$$
rm              $HOME/exp.system.$$
print           'exp.system.ksh is done.'

  • Paul de Anguera, City of Seattle / HRIS