Re: Size of an ORACLE Database over 100 Gb

From: <dfly_at_infinet.com>
Date: 1996/09/10

In article <32361EA6.49AA_at_ratp.fr>, Alain BORGO <Alain.Borgo_at_ratp.fr> wrote:
} We have a new application that use ORACLE 7. The total size of the database is about 250 Gb.
} We certainly put all the files on 60 disks of 4 Gb each (perhaps we will use the RAID 5 technology).
}
} The problem is to manage this very big database : particulary we fear for the administration of the data.
} Another diffuclty is the time to save these 250 Gb.
}
} We're wondering if someone had already manage such a big database or a so big volume of data.
}

we are close to that size.
Oracle 7.1.4 + PeopleSoft GL.

One advice: avoid IBM RAID5. Go for RAID0+1. Or use new MTI RAIDs (both their RAID0 and RAID5 levels are pretty fast (2 times faster in reads that IBM RAID0) and they are versatile).

Buy some big tape library and backup package (ADSM or Backtrack)

Enable archive logging and do nightly hot backups. That's a must.

Also do morning exports of your
most crucial and fast-changing tables.

Cordially,
Serge Received on Tue Sep 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message