Re: Oracle on MVS

From: Bill Manry - Oracle Corporation <bmanry_at_upsizeme.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/09/06

sali_at_ci.chi.il.us wrote:
>We have Oracle 7.2.3 running on MVS system under a subsystem. The
>clients login using Windows 3.1 and SQL*Net 2.1. Our problem is
>whenever a user shutdown his/her pc without exiting properly from from
>Windows or he/she gets a gpf on windows, there is a hanging thread on
>the Oracle on MVS. This type of threads are cleaned by Oracle on other
>platforms if the connection is dead. However, on MVS this is not
>happening. We tried to change the dead connection related
>parameters. None helped. Any suggestion from any one running Oracle
>on MVS is most welcomed.

What SQL*Net protocol are you using? If TCP/IP, which vendor product on MVS? (There are several.)

In many cases this problem is a consequence of the particular protocol implementation. We are somewhat dependent on the protocol to let SQL*Net know when/if the client dies; the TCP/IP products in particular are not very good at this.

/b

--
Bill Manry  -  Mainframe and Integration Technologies  -  Oracle Corporation
These are my opinions, not necessarily Oracle's.