Re: Uses of Dual

From: Bruce Pihlamae <bpihlama_at_nla.gov.au>
Date: 1996/08/23

Sharene Vitani wrote:
> Phil Herring wrote:
> > For a cruel practical joke, try adding an extra row to DUAL :-)
> Unfortunately, someone in my company must have seen your "practical
> joke". It locked up our Oracle Applications every time someone tried to
> save a record that used a sequencer. Dual had two rows which returned two
> sequence numbers for each attempt to insert. After much effort we
> found and resolved the problem.

If you're paranoid about this happening then you could put an INSERT trigger on dual that aborts all inserts OR you could run a script at database startup which always truncated and re-inserted that one row in dual;

Me? I'm not paranoid ... just very very wary! :)

Bruce... Received on Fri Aug 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message