Re: Shared Pool Size and ORA-4031

From: David Jamison <jamison_at_ro.com>
Date: 1996/08/21

Luis Santos wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm a DBA for a Oracle 7.2.2 database based on a Digital Unix v3.2c
> Digital Alpha 1000 Server. We are receiving several errors ORA-4031
> (Out of space in shared pool size).
>
> This error occurs (as sayed by Oracle) because a large package or
> cursor cannot be allocated in the shared pool. This is due inexistance
> of a contiguous free memory area in the shared pool.
>
> Oracle recommends me to, frequently, run the command ALTER SYSTEM
> FLUSH SHARED_POOL, to avoid this problem. I'm runnig it each four
> hours.
>
> But I notice that my performance have decreased.
>
> Has nayone more tips about the problem?
>
> Please reply both newsgroup and my e-mail.
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Luis Santos
> Relacional Consultoria
> Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Luis,

There is a discussion of this problem on page 48 of the Select Magazine for April
1996. The article states that the fix for this problem is to get the version 7.2.3 patch.
The article says to call Oracle support and reference the following bug numbers:
309484, 322904, 318582 and 323222. The problem was also addressed at the Mid-South Users
Group meeting last week and the Oracle representative said that the 7.3 RDBMS does not require
contiguous free memory any longer.

David Jamison
jamison_at_ro.com Received on Wed Aug 21 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message