Re: Tablespace Coalesce

From: Mark Johnson <mwc.mjohnson_at_capital.ge.com>
Date: 1996/08/21

Your_Name_Here wrote:

> All,
>
> I have a tablespace that experiences a large number of insert, update,
> and delete statements. The percentage of extents and blocks coalesced
> often drops to 60% or so, in SVRMGR.
>
> Is there any danger in using the menu option tablespace coalesce. What
> exactly does it do besides changing the percentage back to 100%? Is it a
> good tool for defraging.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Sanj

It moves continguous empty blocks together into one block.

example:

Before:
<6 Blocks Empty><6 Blocks Empty><12 Blocks Data><6 Blocks Empty) After:
<12 blocks Empty><12 Blocks Data><6 Blocks Empty>

It DOES NOT defragement, as in move blocks of data into one continguous block of data and then one block of free space.

Mark Johnson
GE Capital Received on Wed Aug 21 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message