Re: Micron Pentium Pro/Imagine 128 problem

From: Dave Newbern <suprdave_at_nmaa.org>
Date: 1996/08/17

Well I too have been plagued with trying to reach Number Nine Tech support. The problem is that your Imagine 128 has 2 MB of RAM when running with a proper driver to enable it. Otherwise (like in DOS, OS2, linux, etc...) it uses its VGA emulation chip with only 512k of DRAM. I found this out when I wanted to run Xwindows on linux... I thought I'd be cool with 4 MB VRAM but then suddenly I only get 512k of RAM. Bummer, huh? Oh yeah, Duke3d and the rest of the cool DOS games run kind of lousy also.

My recommendation? Take it back. Get a Matrox Millenium card. They are fast, have good driver support, and work excellent in most any OS.

Good luck.

Oh, yeah. If you get through to those guys at Number Nine, tell 'em to return my phone calls. It's been over 4 months now.

Pstu_at_sierra.net wrote:

>The video board that came with the machine was a Diamond
>Stealth 3d. It has no OS/2 support, so I returned it.

Good... Death to Diamond.