Re: Oracle stored functions

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/08/16

Don't know why delphi is doing that but try:

select substr( funcName(param1), 1, 255 ) as funcVal from dual

I have found that using substr with a fixed length (and that should be the max length that funcName will return) causes things to think funcVal is really a varchar2(255).

On Fri, 16 Aug 96 05:11:56 GMT, spo_at_interlog.com (John Parrott) wrote:

>When executing a stored Oracle function in Delphi using a TQuery object which
>is supposed to return a varchar2 value (e.g. 'select funcName(param1) as
>FuncVal from dual'), Delphi always wants to cast the value as a memo instead
>of a string.
>
>Oracle does not provide a way (that I know of) to cast strings as strings.
>To_char() does not work because it wants a date or string.
>
>John Parrott
>Elysium Financial Systems
>spo_at_interlog.com
>http://www.interlog.com/~spo

Thomas Kyte
Oracle Government
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com

http://govt.us.oracle.com -- Check out our web site! Brand new, uses Oracle Web Server and Database

statements and opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation Received on Fri Aug 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message