Re: Visual Basic 4 & Oracle 7

From: scottyu <cyan_at_physics.phy.uab.edu>
Date: 1996/08/15

Rick Root wrote:

> I'm also unable to find any particularly good information about
> 3rd party controls to access Oracle directly (we have a control
> provided by Apex Software to access Oracle directly - it worked
> under Visual Basic 3.0, but doesn't seem to work under VB4.0 - or
> perhaps it's not working with the current database version we have.)

best place to start is oracle.com

first , you need to install sqlnet and tcp/ip adapter(a program not hardware) on your client machine.

second, contact your oracle administrator(I assume you got one), setup listener.ora

in server side

third, setup up your database, table ...etc.

using nettest come with sqlnet to test if your system is properly connect.

forth, put in ODBC driver in client system, use ODBC test to test you system

fifth, write program in VB or ACCESS to retrieve or update data

sixth, optimize server table using index to improve performance

       optimize client using ODBC API call to improve performance

all of steps above had been implement in my company, and it work very good, if you have question, please let me know.

Programmer/Analyst Scott Yu
Pemco Aeroplex Inc., Received on Thu Aug 15 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message