Re: Oracle 7.3 on HPUX 10.01 - any results yet?

From: Bolen Coogler <bcoogler_at_dscga.com>
Date: 1996/08/14

Chris Dipple <chin_at_chin.demon.co.uk> wrote:

        <Most of prior chained thread snipped .>

>That's an interesting one. I assume you did a complete database import.
>If you create the user(s) and then just import by user then you should
>not have this problem.

>I have successfully upgraded from 7.1.4 and 7.2.2 to 7.3.2 using the
>upgrade scripts without any problems.
>--
>Chris Dipple
>Production DBA, Royal Bank of Scotland

The same thought has occured to me. There was probably some conflict, such as a 7.2 style system table creeping into 7.3 via the import. One would think, however, that rerunning CATPROC would solve the problem.

Our benchmark's primary purpose was to test scaling up an Oracle application ported from a small DEC Alpha--not to test 7.3 per se. Thus, when we ran into difficulties, we didn't have the luxury of time to solve our 7.3 problems. We simply dropped back to 7.2 and carried on.

Now that the dust has settled, I had been thinking of upgrading to 7.3 by running the Oracle upgrade scripts as you. I have to wonder, though, if the same kind of problem could happen again. Specifically, we are running 7.2.3 verses your 7.2.2. Could that make a difference? Only one way to find out. (And if THAT doesn't work, I'll try a user by user import.)

---
Bolen Coogler
DBA, BellSouth Information Systems