Re: Micron Pentium Pro/Imagine 128 problem

From: dennis r. gorrie <dego_at_orion.calgary.chevron.com>
Date: 1996/08/13

In article <4uohtu$5ts_at_nntp.sierra.net> stu_at_sierra.net writes:
>I've got a new Micron Magnum Pro Plus 200 computer
>(that's a pentium pro 200 based on the intel 82450KX
>chipset). OS/2 seems to work OK, until I try to get
>decent video.
>
>The video board that came with the machine was a Diamond
>Stealth 3d. It has no OS/2 support, so I returned it.
>
>I then installed a Number Nine Imagine 128 PCI with 2MB
>VRAM. It claims to have OS/2 support, but if I run
>it in any mode other than 640x480 VGA (ugh!) I get a lot
>of random hoizontal lines on my screen that look like echos
>of other video lines.

It often pays to make sure the hardware will support the OSs you plan to use BEFORE you buy. In the marketplace to day, ANY vendor is satisfied to sell you hardware thats only supported under Win95 or NT. Often even that support is mediocre at best (ie Diamond).

If you have the option of trying another card, I would try an ATI Graphics Pro Turbo. I've heard ATI drivers are one of the best for OS/2 in terms of support. Most of the ATI cards are supported under Xfree86 too if you plan to use some PC unix like Linux.

You might also want to try and find out if the Matrox Millenium is supported well under OS/2.

It could be the driver is not installing correctly. Try the OS/2 newsgroups and post as much info about your problem there. You'll probably get more usefull responses from them.

And finally, before you send back the Micron and switch to another vendor:
1) if you want support for os/2, make sure they support it, and get it in writting on the invoice that the hardware is compatible with os/2!
2) ask in the os/2 newsgroups to verify all the hardware is OK under OS/2. Received on Tue Aug 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message