Re: Calling Start viles via relative paths

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/08/11

Instead of prefixing your file names with anything, you could just set the SQLPATH environment variable. SQL*PLus will search the current working directory and then the directories listed in the SQLPATH environment variables for scripts. That way you can just say "start input" and it will find it.

On 10 Aug 1996 16:09:03 GMT, duggan_at_risky.ecs.umass.edu (John F Duggan) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am running Oracle 7 Server Release 7.1.4.1.1 on a DEC3000/600 running OSF/1.
>Under SQLPLUS, I am attempting to write several routines for input output.
>Initially, I decied to place all I/O routines in a directory called
>
> /dsk/user/tools.
>
>When I referenced a routine called input in tools I used:
>
> start /dsk/user/tools/input prompt_text variable_name parameter
>
>Now, I need to move this routine and many others to a new location. Now would
>be the appropriate time to create a path symbol so that I can do the following:
>
> 1) create the symbol tools path each time this database needs to be accessed
> 2) issue the new command:
>
> start tools_path/input prompt_text variable_name parameter
>
> 3) make future changes only to the initialization procedures that will
> alter the tools_path specification.
>
>Thanks for your time and effort on this.
>
>John Duggan

> John Duggan Internet : duggan_at_zonker.ecs.umass.edu
> Engineering Computer Services
> Univ. of Massachusetts Phone : (413) 545-1580
> Amherst, MA 01003

Thomas Kyte
Oracle Government
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com

http://govt.us.oracle.com -- Check out our web site! Brand new, uses Oracle Web Server and Database

statements and opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation Received on Sun Aug 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message