Re: SCO vs HP UX

From: David Gurr <davidgu_at_sco.com>
Date: 1996/08/09

Debor19071 wrote:

> I am trying to get feedback regarding SCO UNIX vs. HP UNIX.

The "SCO UNIX" product name is no longer used ... SCO now sells SCO OpenServer Release 5 (a descendant of the original SCO UNIX) and SCO UnixWare 2.1.

SCO OpenServer Release 5 is designed to help companies automate business-critical functions - it is a highly capable DBMS server platform and (with the addition of optional products) a highly capable workgroup server providing Windows file & print services. SCO OpenServer Release 5 is targetted primarily at small to medium businesses, or large companies who are automating a number of small to medium branch offices.

SCO UnixWare 2.1 is designed primarily to provide high scalability. Whilst both SCO OpenServer Release 5 and SCO UnixWare 2.1 take advtantage of multi-processor hardware platforms, SCO UnixWare 2.1 delivers slightly higher performance. Additionally, later this year it will be possible to run Oracle Parallel Server on a cluster of Intel-based systems running SCO UnixWare 2.1. SCO UnixWare 2.1 is targetted primarily at larger enterprises.

> My understanding was that SCO UNIX has some problems (security, etc.)

Like any operating system (HP-UX included), security flaws are occasionally found in SCO operating systems. These are alerted through CERT, and fixed with all possible speed. Fixes for any security problems are posted on SCO's web site (http://www.sco.com/), along with fixes for other issues.

> and that the HP UNIX is overall much more stable.

When comparing HP-UX and SCO operating systems stability-wise, you're also comparing the hardware on which they're running.

HP-UX runs only on HP-9000 systems. SCO OpenServer Release 5 and SCO UnixWare 2.1 run on thousands of Intel platforms from hundreds of different vendors.

If you select server hardware from a name-brand, well-respected hardware vendor that has close links with SCO, then stability should not be an issue. SCO works closely with the leading Intel server platform vendors to ensure that their products work well together.

If you select a no-name clone desktop system, it may work fine ... but there's no guarantee.

There's a complete list of SCO's Hardware Compatibility Handbook on SCO's web site.

>Also, regarding performance is SCO thought of as faster than HP??

It's not generally thought of that way ... but if you select the right hardware, it can be.

Again, you're comparing hardware as well as the OS. One of the widely used reference performance benchmarks is TPC-C. You can find details of the benchmark and benchmark results at the TPC web site (http://www.tpc.org/).

The best performing Intel systems using SCO UnixWare 2.1 outpeformed all benchmarked IBM RS/6000+AIX systems, and all non-clustered HP 9000+HP-UX systems.

Additionally, one of these systems also holds the record for best price/performance.

> Thanks for your feedback

You're welcome. Hope this helps.

David Gurr				Tel:   (+44) (0)1923 813548
					Fax:   (+44) (0)1923 813812
SCO Europe, Middle East & Africa	Mobile:(+44) (0)468  106690
Stockley Park, Uxbridge, UK		Email: davidgu_at_sco.com
					WWW:   http://www.sco.com/