Re: how to compare Oracle vs SQL-Server?

From: David Jensen <david.jensen_at_mpcug.com>
Date: 1996/08/06

On Sun, 04 Aug 1996 17:58:30 -0700, Bob Treumann <bobt_at_elmwood.com> wrote:

>Can anyone point me to a resource to compare Oracle and
>SQL-Server on a feature by feature basis? Opinions
>from people who know both sytems well would be
>appreciated especially.
>
>Will post summary of replies received by email.
>
>--
> Elmwood Solutions Inc. (St Paul, Minnesota)
> Email: sei_at_elmwood.com or bobt_at_elmwood.com Bob Treumann
> Web:
http://www.elmwood.com

I'm not sure why those are your choices, but I would:

1. Specify the business needs.
2. Identify the technical needs that are driven by the business needs.
3. See which vendor (how about Informix et al, also) meets the needs.
3a. If you don't need the feature, the benefit is zero. 3b. Unix database server sizing has been a less than perfect art. 4. Choose the most cost effective solution.

Anyone who tells you at this stage which is better isn't doing all the work.

Dave

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. William Pitt (Earl of Chatham), speech in the House of Lords, Nov. 18, 1783 Received on Tue Aug 06 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message