Re: Oracle 7.3 on HPUX 10.01 - any results yet?

From: Fred Puhan <fjp_at_his.com>
Date: 1996/08/02

In article <4trlkk$elf_at_vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>, pjackson_at_prairienet.org (Paul C. Jackson) wrote:

>Has anyone taken the leap to 7.3 yet? If
>so, how is it working? Any bugs?
>
>We are very apprehensive since our last upgrade attempt.
>
>Any insight would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>pjackson_at_prairienet.org
>--

I installed 7.3 on an HP 9000/D250 running HP-UX 10.01 and am running two instances currently.

Oracle forgot to include references to a required shell script (STARTUP.SH?) in the installation instructions, but other than that, everything has been running smoothly. The most noticeable change (for me, at least) is that Server Manager has now officially replaced SQL*DBA. As I am not fortunate enough to have an XTerminal, I am only able to run Server Manager in line mode, which means I no longer have access to any of the monitoring tools.

For some reason, I did not receive the CD that contained the Windows-based client tools, and so I had to manually create and configure the SQL*Net files (tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora, listener.ora). Despite the written documentation Oracle says they _will_ support such configurations (the docs now state that users MUST use the Network Manager tools to create these files).

I also obtained and installed four patches from HP that Oracle recommends.

Not a painless installation, but not a showstopper, either. The product seems stable and works as advertised. Received on Fri Aug 02 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message