Re: question on database table

From: Steven Liebler <stevel_at_logicworks.com>
Date: 1996/08/02

Wilson Luong wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just want to verify a question i had with you oracle experts out there. Is Oracle case sensitive in relation to table names and field names within the table.
>
> eg. If i created a table (myTable) with field (myField) in it, will Oracle save the table name as myTable or will it save it as MYTABLE. Likewise will the field
> be saved as myField or will it be saved as MYFIELD. If it is not case sensitive, then i would need to name the table to MY_TABLE and the field name to MY_FIELD in
> order to have a readable table name and field name.
>
> Also, just another simple question. What is the maximum number of characters i can have for a table and field name. I've been told its 32. Is that correct???
>
> Thanking you in advance......
>
> Regards
> Wilson Luong
> Software Engineer

No Oracle is NOT case sensitive. A create myTable (myField number); statement would create a table that can be accessed with a select myfield from mytable; statement. An exception would be if you were to create a table with the tablename in double quotes. Example: a create table "myTable" ( myField number ); statement would require a select "myField" from "myTable; statement.

--
Steve Liebler
Senior Product Consultant