Re: Stored Procedure Parsing

From: ashok kapur <akapur_at_thomtech.com>
Date: 1996/07/31

Barry Johnson wrote:

> I've recently been told that there is a bug within
> the Oracle RDBMS which contridicts claims made by
> Oracle. I've been told that no matter what, Oracle
> parses stored procedure code, each and every time.
> This came from a very reliable source. I was told
> the Oracle consultant found the problem at a
> customer account in Houston and there corporate
> office refused to correct the problem. Is someone
> confussed or has anyone experianced similar
> processing.
>
> TIA
> -Barry

My understanding is that a stored procedure is parsed when it is brought into the SGA. If the stored procedure is in the SGA and parsed, it is NOT parsed again, just like any other SQL stmt in the SGA.

I can understand why it is parsed, when it is brought up in memory initially: object structures may have changed, object permissions may have changed, etc. Instead of re-compiling ALL stored procedure whenever any DDL is issued, I think it makes sense to parse a stored procedure whenever it is brought into memory.

--
Ashok Kapur (akapur_at_thomtech.com)
Thomson Technology Consulting Group