Re: ODBC remembering password

From: Steve Rose <scr_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1996/07/29

In article <31FD4BE0.71C3_at_postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu>, schubach.1_at_osu.edu wrote:

> Hi,
> I am developing an application using Microsoft Visual C++ 4.2 which
> needs to be able to connect to an Oracle 7.x database (The client would
> be a Win95 or Win NT machine). I would like to always connect to the
> Oracle database using the same username and password (within any given
> install). I would like this username and password to be transparent to
> the user. I would also like to not have to hard-code this username and
> password into my application. Also, I want my application to be flexible
> enough that it can connect to another type of database.

You could save the connection string in a document and pass it to SQLDriverConnect. As part of the install, you could call SQLDriverConnect with a blank connection string, allowing ODBC to display a list of data sources (or set up a new one). After a successful connection, the connection string is returned in one of the parameters.

scr_at_mindspring.com
http://www.mindspring.com/~scr/scr_Home.html