Re: Delphi 2.0 vs. Powerbuilder 5.0

From: <Chris.Aher_at_mci.com>
Date: 1996/07/29

I'm picking this thread up in the middle so excuse me if some of my comments wander from the original topic.

Jolyon Smith wrote:

> Chuck Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > Bryan Keller <bryan_at_seigler.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I loved your post, and I totally agree. Since when is doing something
> > >you don't want to do so you can make more money a sign of maturity? Very
> > >shallow.
> >
> > When you realize that you need the money more than personal
> > gratification. Like when you've got a family to feed, a car to pay
> > off, and a mortgage.
> >
> Up on soapbox here.

I advise the younger folks that I work with to continually develop diverse skill sets throughout their careers. I 've been around awhile(working for the last 33 years, 10 in sw development) and am on my 3rd sucessful(by my own personal standard) career. I also had a number of plain old jobs as opposed to careers in my youth. (worst: piano tuner, best: stage manager)

Providing for your family (financially, emotionally, and morally) is your most important responsibility as a parent. Job satisfaction is a nice to have, but your family comes first.

Develop those skills (and not just in data processing) and you have more options in the job arena.

> So get into the drugs/porn/arms/slavery trades - make loads of money
> and damn the consequences!
>
> If you find this an unsavoury prospect, think about exactly why -
> because it is unsavoury to *you* (there are plenty of people involved
> in these trades so it _must_ be a personal decision). Then think about
> what you are telling people who have a little faith in their own
> convictions on this matter: That you are right absolutely, and we
> are all being childish?
> I personally think that there is a qualitative difference between immoral/illegal occupations and
unappealing development environments. Development practices (in this context) are not moral issues, although personal esthetic values may come in to play.

> I repeat - think again about what it is you are saying!

Always a good idea!

> > Actually, I think the original point was more along the line of a
> > stubborn child saying:
> >
> > "If you don't let me have things my way, I'll..."
> > (a) "hold my breath till I turn blue".
> > (b) "throw a temper tantrum"
> > (c) "take my ball and go home"
> > (d) insert your favorite childish action here
>
> It had nothing to do with these obvisouly childish resposnes. It was
> precisely along the lines of:
>
> "If a change is forced onto me that I do not wish to make, "
> "I will leave."
>
> This was not expressed as a threat, simply as a statement of fact.
> People such as yourselves consider this childish when compared to:
>
> "If you wish to make me do something I do not want to do, just pay"
> "me enough money and I'll shut up, no matter."
> This sums up the basic choices. For many people, having this choice is, in fact, a luxury.
Developing a diverse skill set and world view can afford ont this luxury.

> Jolyon Smith | These views are my own and not
> Application Development Consultant | necessarily representative of
> PLATINUM Solutions (UK) | the views of my employer.
> Other forms of communication supported:
>
> CompuServe : 72660,617
> Internet Mail : smithjt_at_dircon.co.uk
> Web URL : http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~smithjt/home.html

  Chris Aher                       |  These views are my own and not
  Application Development          |  necessarily representative of
  MCI International                |  the views of my employer.