Re: Upgrade issues -- COFF & ELF

From: <jwright_at_phish.nether.net>
Date: 1996/07/27

Oracle says: only Oracle 7.2.3 COFF is supported on ptx 4.1.x.

So, if you are running something earlier than 7.2.3, upgrade to the newer COFF version, the perform OS upgrade.

-Joshua Wright jwright_at_nether.net

kneubaue_at_standard.com wrote:

: > From: john_at_americantv.com. (John Bechtel) : > Newsgroups:
comp.databases.oracle,comp.sys.sequent : > Subject: Upgrade issues -- COFF & ELF : > : > We are currently running Dynix/ptx 2.1.2 on a Sequent S2000, with several : > Oracle databases all running 7.1.6. We plan to upgrade to ptx 4.1.3 within : > the next few weeks. : > : > Problem: ptx 2.1.2 is COFF format, 4.1.3 is ELF format. : > Oracle DB's are alsi COFF format. : > : > Question: Is it possible to run a

COFF based database on an ELF based OS?  : >           If so, what needs
to be done to accomplish this, if anything?  : >           Are there
parameters to set, patches required, etc? : > : > Oracle support assured me that this can not be done. I find this hard to : > believe. Any and all help will be appreciated. : > Please email me directly with responses, as I don't often get a chance to : > read the newsgroups. I will post a summary of all responses received.

: YES you can run a COFF based database on an ELF based system, : we are
doing it, no problems. The basic thing you have to : remember is to set the variable OBJ_FORM=COFF;export OBJ_FORM : for the Oracle user id. And make sure that the ROOT id variable : set to ELF. But this is really a NO-BRAINER.
: We took our existing db binarys and just dump/restored them : onto our
4.1.x platform.

: We plan on moving to the same version, but ELF based binary : of the
DB later this year.

: Ken Neubauer : Standard Insurance Co.