Re: Time required to install and setup Oracle database?

From: Winston Douglas <wdouglas_at_istar.ca>
Date: 1996/07/25

Edward J. Hartford wrote:

> I would appreciate input on a reasonable (unreasonable may be more to
> the point) length of time to allow for the installation and setup of
> an Oracle database. I was just hoping for broad terms: 1 month, 6
> months, 1 yr, 2 yr, 3years? The situtation is
>
> A Sparc20 running Solaris
> 10 PCs running win3.1 connected by lan workplace
> DBA - 10+ years programming including SQL (no previous DBA exp)
> Information currently stored in two different format flat files.
> priority to loading incoming data.
>
> I was just interested in a estimate on the time until users could
> expect to begin accessing data, no fancy reports, just the bare bones
> queries of the data. Even setup of username/password to begin
> development/working with oracle.
>
> Is installation so difficult that it requires an experienced DBA with

It does not require a DBA with previous installation experience but he/she will need a lot more time and some help.

To install the database software and initial database should take an experienced DBA approximately 3-4 hours (maybe less if your lucky). This DBA will probably need 2-3 days if he has some UNIX experience and he is prepared to do all the necessary reading. To load the flat files with SQL*Loader (best case 1 to 1 mapping of files/tables and fields/columns) will probably take approximately 4 days with this DBA. Installing and configuring the SQL*Net software on the server and clients can be challenging without a good understanding of Networking and Client/Server concepts and could take about 3-4 days to configure the first client. You should have something going after this.

Good Luck
Winston Douglas
Apotex Inc
Canada Received on Thu Jul 25 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message