Re: sqlload question - newlines

From: Gryphon Lady <oradnio_at_albany.net>
Date: 1996/07/24

I don't know if either of you will find this helpful, but I just finished moving some data from a minicomputer database (Powerhouse running on AOS/VS) through to an Oracle7 Workgroup Server running on Unixware using SQL*Loader. Here are the steps I went through:

  1. I extracted the data from Powerhouse into a flat ASCII file;
  2. I ran it through an AOS/VS utility called Sort/Merge to append the two ASCII codes comprising the CR/LF combo;
  3. I appended the flat file to a dBase IV file structure (duplicate of Powerhouse flat file with a filler field of one character at the end to compensate for the added CR/LF at the end of each record);
  4. I used dBase to generate a comma-delimited, quote enclosed SDF file which I then used SQL*Loader to get into Oracle tables.

I know it probably sounds like a lot of work, but it really wasn't all that bad and I'm sure you could find ways to streamline it.

In article <31F2BD31.17C2206A_at_uchicago.edu>, a-morris_at_uchicago.edu says...