Re: Mirroring on 10.10

From: Howard <magic_at_primail.pr.cyanamid.com>
Date: 1996/07/23

Steve,

        From my experience, most of the Oracle databases seem to be more i/o intensive than cpu intensive. Implication: multi-processor units don't get that much performance gain.

  1. Are you Mirroring across I/O channels?!
  2. Can you use the System F/W controller, as an additional i/o channel?!
  3. Have you tried it without the mirroring (Mirroring does slow things down by a lot).
  4. Are you using SWAP? if so, can you either get more memory, or cut the swap disks across multiple drives?!
  5. Can I safely assume that you're cutting your databases across the disks?
  6. Have you considered cutting a few gigs as strip drives?! and use that drive as your index/temp file drive?! where the un-important data sets?! (Strip drives can be 5 times as fast as mirrored drives) Reply back.. let me know how it works out.
    • howard